Doesn't matter if you write books, articles, or screenplays, every writer must negotiate a minefield of legal issues on the road to publication or production. Attorney Mike Farris, an expert in this field, will guide you through that minefield, addressing common questions that all writers have, plus some you may never have thought of. Topics will include:
- How, and why, to register your copyright
- What is copyright infringement?
- What is the “public domain”?
- Defamation, invasion of privacy, and the right of publicity
- The agency agreement
- The publishing contract
- How to obtain life rights
- The option/purchase agreement for film rights/screenplays
- How to protect your work when pitching to film producers
- Collaboration agreements and works-for-hire
Attorney Mike Farris was lead attorney in the Fifty Shades of Grey litigation in Fort Worth that resulted in a $13.25 million judgment in favor of his client. He negotiated the sale of film rights to The Free State of Jones for his client The University of North Carolina Press, which was made into a major motion picture starring Oscar-winner Matthew McConaughey and directed by multi-time Oscar nominee Gary Ross. Film rights to Mike's Hawaiian true crime book, A Death in the Islands: The Unwritten Law and the Last Trial of Clarence Darrow, have been optioned by Aaron and Jordan Kandell, two of the writers on the Disney hit Moana. Mike's next true crime book, Poor Innocent Lad: The Tragic Death of Gill Jamieson and the Execution of Myles Fukunaga, set in the Territory of Hawaii in 1928-1929, is set for release later this year. Mike is also the author of seven published novels, including thrillers such as The Bequest and Manifest Intent, and the Hawaiian historical fiction Isle of Broken Dreams.
Fee: $60 or $45 for former/current students | Live Stream Available!
- Mike Farris, Presenter
- Sunday, April 29, 2018 - 3:00PM to 6:00PM
- Seminar meets at The Foundry Club at Mockingbird Station: 5307 E. Mockingbird Ln / Dallas, TX / 75206
- Live Stream is available for students who live outside of Dallas. Just let us know when you register.
Click the button below to register for the seminar.