6-Week Special: The Artist's Way Seminar
A Special 6-Week Seminar with Rex McGee
Thursday Nights, August 23, 2018 - September 27, 2018
THE ARTIST’S WAY SEMINAR has been taught to thousands of people looking for creative direction in their lives. People who enjoy visual art, performance art and writing have joined forces and realized that the challenges of creativity are not unique to any particular art form. Successful artists and beginners all face the same challenges. We will use any excuse to keep from living a fulfilled creative life; we surround ourselves with drama and other people who keep our lives chaotic to blur the focus from ourselves and our work. We oversleep, overeat, over-read, watch too much television and talk too much on the phone. We BLOCK, BLOCK, BLOCK until we can find blame and justify our real fear of actually living a creative life. Our fear of appearing foolish stops us from producing work. Our perfectionist tendencies stop us from starting or finishing a project. The deep desire many of us have to become GREAT artists prevent us from becoming artists at all. Our central fear may be that it is too late and that our talent is gone. We will look for any way to stop the pain... This eight-week workshop examines a variety of highly effective skills and practices designed to ignite passion and capture new ideas. Topics include:
- THE METHOD OF THE MAGIC. Learn to recognize, nurture and protect your inner artist. You will move beyond pain and creative constriction.
- LEARN THAT IT IS SAFE TO DREAM. We like to pretend it is hard to follow our heart’s dream. The truth is, it’s difficult to avoid walking through the many creative doors that will open for us. Leap and the net will appear. As we clarify our perceptions, we lose our misconceptions. We arrive at clarity, and clarity creates change.
- RECOGNIZING POSSIBILITIES. As we gain strength, we free ourselves from our terrible fears of abandonment and we are able to live with a greater degree of spontaneity. We are freed from our constant demand for more and more reassurance, and our fellows are able to love us back without feeling so burdened. You will examine the idea that money worries are the ultimate creative block.
- IDENTIFYING INSPIRATION. Art is not about thinking something up. It’s the opposite: it’s about getting something down. Instead of reaching for inventions, we learn to listen.
- PROTECTING YOUR NEWFOUND ARTIST FROM HARM. Blocked artists are not lazy, they’re blocked. Procrastination is not laziness, it’s fear. The need to be a great artist makes it hard to be an artist at all. This week, you will learn tools that involve taking creative risks, and these small risks teach you the courage that it takes to create.
- AUTONOMY AS AN ARTIST. As an artist, self-respect comes from doing the work. Artists do not need to be rich, only richly supported. We kill parts of ourselves when we fail to nurture the artist within.
NOTE: Students are required to purchase a copy of The Artist's Way by Julia Cameron as the foundational text for this course.
Instructor Rex McGee is a native of North Texas and a protege of the legendary filmmaker Billy Wilder. McGee has sold over 20 scripts for film and television since receiving his BA in Cinema from USC. He has worked in both Los Angeles and Texas as a screenwriter and journalist, and he has conducted screenwriting and creativity workshops at SMU for the last 19 years. His film credits include Warner Brothers’ Pure Country, starring George Strait, Hallmark’s Where There’s a Will, starring Marion Ross and Keith Carradine, and the IMAX film, Texas: The Big Picture, for the Texas State History Museum in Austin. A member of the Writers Guild of America, West, he has collaborated on his screenplays with directors Jon Amiel, John Putch, Peter Masterson, Robert Mulligan, and Billy Wilder. He adapted his own original screenplay of Pure Country for the musical stage, which premiered in 2017 at Lyric Stage in Irving, Texas: purecountrythemusical.com
Fee: $395 or $370 for former/current students
- Rex McGee, Instructor
- Enrollment limit: 10 students
- Thursday Nights, August 23, 2018 - September 27, 2018, 6:30PM - 8:30PM
- Special 6-Week Seminar meets at The Foundry Club at Mockingbird Station: 5307 E. Mockingbird Ln / Dallas, TX / 75206
Click the button below to register for this special 6-Week seminar.